Wednesday, 27 August 2014

Something to look forward to

So here I find myself, like thousands of my peers across the country, and probably the globe. We are fast approaching the dreaded month of September. Almost as dreaded as the infamous monday. The joyous days of summer are over. No more sleepovers where you stay up until 3 in the morning watching Lord of the Rings. No more care free days of having no work to do. The grey clouds on the horizon seem to spell out the word 'School'. *Cue lightning sound effect*. I myself am also dreading the work and early mornings. I am currently writing my Personal Statement and look forward to a year of exam stress and university application. But it is not all doom and gloom. Here are some of the things I am looking forward to in the next 12 months of my life, which will hopefully brighten your spirits if you are experiencing the same end of holiday blues as me.

1) Back to school
This may sound weird from the subtitle, but I promise you that it… well… it is kind of a weird one to start off with. After the school year finishes, there is nothing more exciting than the prospect of 6 weeks of freedom, being able to stay up late and do what you want, when you want. Yet after a while I get a tad bored. Firstly I miss seeing people everyday. Even the people at school who you aren't friends with, it's still nice to see everyone everyday. This coming year being my final one, it'll be strange on the last day, seeing everyone for the final time. I also miss the timetable and structure to it, as well as  using my brain and stretching my cleverness (happens quite a lot…).

2) Halloween
I have to admit, I am a huge Halloween fan. I always get extremely excited this time of year, as it's essentially just around the corner. I'm not going to lie, I have decided what I want to be this year which is sad for a 17 year old I know but who's judging me? I love the atmosphere and decorations, as well as the myths and stories that come with it. Best of all, the food and drinks. Magazines are laden with spooky treats when it turns October which is always exciting. I also love the parties where everyone is dressed up and having a good time. For me, Halloween is always something to look forward to.

3) Winter 
Personally, I love winter just as much as summer. I enjoy the bitter and crispness of the air, the dark evenings watching films with the fire on. I love wrapping up warm in countless layers of thick jumpers and coats. I also get excited whenever I see snow on the weather forecast. Waking up the next morning to see if the world is covered in a white blanket. Usually it isn't mind you… Even when it doesn't snow I enjoy sitting inside when it's howling and gail outside. Of course with winter comes my favourite time of year out of all of them…

4) CHRISTMAS
This was obviously going to be on the list. Who doesn't enjoy Christmas? I personally believe that you don't have to be a Christian to enjoy the festivities. I myself am not religious but I still love to get involved in the nostalgia that comes with the time of year. The atmosphere changes from 'I'm fed up with cold and miserable winter' to a happy and excited mood. The decorations make the house look festive and inviting. Best of all, decorating the tree. As well as that the food is awesome. Mince pies and Yule logs. As well as ginormous roast dinners. A personal favourite that always reminds me of childhood christmases is mum's homemade jam tarts. (Me and my brother didn't use to like mince pies hence we compromised and swapped the 'mince' for jam). Family come round to visit and the whole excitement of Santa's visit. Opening your presents excitedly on christmas morning and spending the day carol singing and drinking alcohol from early in the morning (underage readers ignore that part). And finally collapsing in front of the fire with left over turkey sandwiches to watch the Dr Who christmas special in the evening tops it all off. 

5) New Year
With the post Christmas blues, and the decorations looking worse for wear, everyone is in need of a little pick me up. Right on cue New Year arrives. Obviously the huge party everyone has (whilst getting drunk). Last year was a great event as at midnight, the whole party I was at went down to the local church which is next to the river and watches the firework display. Good evening with good people.

6)Birthday
I have a feeling this post is already long enough so I'm going to quickly wrap it up with one final event which I'm looking forward to. I'm going to sum it up with one equation… 18th= Big Party.

So I hope reading this has lifted your end of holidays blues and given you something to look forward to in the coming months. 

BBYYYEEEE for now >:3

No comments:

Post a Comment